Saturday, October 5, 2013

Returning


This morning we stepped back into our home in Fize, after almost 6 weeks of traveling, family-timing, holidaying, traveling more, conferencing and networking, and traveling more.  There are always mixed emotions returning to our homes, and it is not always easy to even name what those emotions are or where they have come from. 

Let’s be honest, there are a variety of aspects of life here that are not exciting to return to.  The convenience I miss the most is a refrigerator, and the close second is a hot shower.  It is also hard to return knowing that I am not coming back to a job that is going well, in fact I’m coming back to address all the problems that I gladly left behind weeks ago.  The reality is that as soon as I deal with those problems, there will be just as many new ones, because our projects always seem to create issues before we can really help people make lasting solutions.  Oh the energy it takes to even think about that.  It’s funny how I often feel the most zapped when I return here from a break. 

In the first hours back in our house, there were so many things that I needed to get to work on, but my heart was really opposed, so I had to take a few minutes, find a quiet place, and talk to my Maker about the state of things.  Actually I didn’t communicate much, but rather I urged Him to speak up a bit.  It’s a shame to admit that I was surprised when He answered.  Maybe it’s because the answer came in a unique way.  All at once, my senses were opened, and a combination of present happenings and near memories popped into my mind like a film.  In a matter of minutes my consciousness scanned and senses absorbed the following things that are all right here:

-the laughter and play of hundreds of children in the school across the street
-the flowerpots on the street, but they are not flowerpots, they’re old tank wheels put on their side
-the men on the sidewalk who spend the whole afternoon playing chess
-the watchman who returned a bottle of perfume that my wife unknowingly dropped 5 weeks ago (rather than taking it home)
-the driver who was noticeably careful with the van full of young families (the same driver I threatened and nearly fired 2 months ago for not driving safe)
-my son who arrived and toured every room and corner of the yard with exuberant joy
-my wife who threw herself right into cleaning the layer of dust off of everything
-my daughter who vacillated between smiley giggles, and closed-eye head-bobbling, as she tried to stay happy and awake during lunch

These senses and pictures help on days when returning seems hard.  It is so great when help comes right when we need it.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to imagine it with you. And thankful you were given eyes to see the beauty when you needed a bit of refreshment!

    ReplyDelete